Unfortunately many store bought nut mylks contain less than 5% nuts, some are high in sugar with added preservatives and other additives. Making your own nut mylk is incredibly easy and tastes more delicious than the store bought varieties.
Steps to follow
- Soak 1 cup of raw nuts (i love to use almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, macadamias or hemp seeds) in 2-3 cups of filtered water overnight.
- Drain and discard water.
- Add the nuts to a food processor and add 4 cups of purified water, blend until smooth.
- Add a date for sweetness (optional).
- Strain the mixture through a nut mylk bag or muslin cloth to separate the liquid from the pulp.
- Store in the fridge for 3 – 4 days
I don’t like to waste the pulp – Freeze it in ice trays to add to your smoothies, add it to a warm bowl of oats or perfect for baking gluten free muffins.