The Aztecs discovered the avocado, they considered it an aphrodisiac and called it “ahuacatl” (which translates to testicle). Later it evolved into the word “avocado” which is still regarded as a symbol of love and fertility.
Health benefits of avocado
- Particularly rich in healthy monounsaturated fats shown to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Packed with vitamin C and vitamin E for healthy skin and immune system.
- Rich in B vitamins like folate critical for foetal growth and development.
- Beneficial levels of dietary fibre, great for digestion,
- Contains carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin (antioxidants) critical for eye health.
Avocado has a sweet side too! With its mild flavour and creamy texture avocado can be used to make desserts and creamy smoothies.
Avocado chocolate mousse
1 large ripe avocado
1 cup coconut cream
4 tbsp cacao powder
3 tbsp *natural sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp B inspired superfood blend (optional)
Fresh mint leaves
*Natural sweeteners ideas – rice malt syrup, honey, coconut nectar, a handful of pitted medjool dates or sugar free natural alternatives such as stevia or monk fruit to taste.
Add avocado, coconut cream, cacao powder, sweetener, energy kick and vanilla to a blender on low speed, gradually increasing to high combining all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Pour into individual serving glasses and put into fridge to allow to thicken for at least an hour.
Just before serving, decorate with your choice of toppings. Serve chilled.